SOMEWHERE HERE ON EARTH

“I KNOW YOU’RE OUT THERE, I CAN FEEL YOU GETTING CLOSER TO ME- I’M JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU’RE WAITING FOR, YOU KNOW I’M FREE- IN THIS DIGITAL AGE, YOU COULD JUST PAGE ME, I KNOW ITS A RAGE, BUT IT JUST DON’T ENGAGE ME- I LIKE THE FACE TO FACE.. DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS AT YOURS OR MY PLACE? ITS BEEN SO LONG SINCE I BEEN WITH SOMEBODY, LIKE A MILLION YEARS.. NOW YOU’RE HERE ON EARTH.” ~SOMEWHERE HERE ON EARTH BY PRINCE

“Somewhere Here on Earth” is a piece I did to be representative of the current situation the generations of our species has put us and our agronomical world in. It is indictive of the environmental carelessness constantly being displayed by us, through our youth to our elders, something that has begun to slowly punish us. This is shown clearly by the fact the individual is suffocating and holds the mean to his own end but does not let go, no matter how much. This is a direct parallel of us as a species. We consistently exhibit self-sacrificing behaviors and tend to put ourselves in danger- both emotional or otherwise- due to our nature towards ourselves and the world. Often individuals hold a sense of irrationality and apathy towards the environment, thinking it to be an insignificant and something to be scoffed as it will seemingly have little to no effect on them. This is unequivocally untrue however, and as evident in the image, such a line of thought only brings caustic results; results caused by the individual in question. For this image I was also inspired by modern horror, the oddly graphic depiction being something I personally find intriguing and noteworthy, the shock value of it being all the more helpful in spreading the message I stipulated earlier. Throughout this image there are dark creases and shadows, bringing to light the nature of line in this image. I find the gruesome, morbid reality to be foreboding of the ominous tone of the image and I think it really does constitute the ritualistically grotesque nature of the photo. As well as this, I drew a number of inspirations for this photo that are more subjective horror- the main inspiration being “Everywhere at the End of Time” which is a graphic 6 hour audio that carries a strong, convoluted message that is expressive in it’s nonsensical nature. It is consistently a horror but does not always outwardly express that which is what I wanted to invoke in my image. Another piece of media I happened to draw some inspirations from was the song that is cited in the heading and title. “Somewhere Here on Earth” is a love song created by Prince, meant to highlight the longing natures of lonely souls, displaying the critical desire they have for their soulmate or their someone on Earth. My photo invokes a strong nihilistic ideal of Earth and is meant to be the antithesis of the song provided. My fearlessness in displaying such an image is also indictive of the freeform spirit Prince was. Throughout the image, I kept a dreary tone to the lighting, posing, colours, and otherwise, ensuring that the image practically oozed of a contemptuous, crude existentialism. To capture such an image I used the following settings: 1/50 secs, f/5.6, and an ISO of 1600. This is an idle masterpiece, truly meant to tear it’s claws deep into the potentially selfish eyes of the viewer.

One thought on “SOMEWHERE HERE ON EARTH

1. THIS PHOTO IS CRAZY. The message behind it is insane. How you capture the environmental effects of the current generation on earth using the plastic bag on the guys face is really enhances the message of the photo. The dude looks like he’s about to choke. The connection you made with earth to that is incredible. The use of dark lighting and shadow really work together to create this sense of horror in ur picture. Furthermore, the lines created by the plastic bag on buddy’s face can almost show his mental state of mind.