The Depth of the Unknown

This photograph has been taken on October 26, with the camera qualities of 1/1600 sec. f/4 18mm and ISO of 100. It was taken from a low angle, facing toward the light of the sun in order to reflect the light coming from the sun onto the snow. I believe that the elements shown are texture and depth, as the footprint has obviously created some depth and shade in the snow and as the cold, melting feeling of the snow is passed on to the viewer. To me personally, the image is slightly ironic and transformational, as from the first glace, the snow field is seen clearly, but looking the into the distance, the light and the surface, it reminds me of a sandy or salt beach.

3 thoughts on “The Depth of the Unknown

1. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the picture in how it is just a single footprint that does not reveal where it is going or where it came from. The texture is very precise, it looks like ripples of water which goes along with your references to a beach theme. The light actually acts as a leading line to the foot which I found could be a sign as to where the person went. Maybe if the foot was not quite as centered it would be even better.

2. Dear Victor,

Your post is rather unique and simple, since it is capturing the essence of snow up close. It reminds me of the famous saying: “frog in the well”, as we as humans only perceive so much, in accordance with what appears to be true. We are unable to look beyond the pit, since our whole reality is accustomed to this, “reality.” I admire the texture of the snow as it both symbolizes sand with its grainy texture, and oceanic waves through the indents. I would challenge you to provide more lighting onto the footstep, as it would emphasize depth better. A slight change in angle will help you put more focus onto the subject.

3. Honestly A breathe taking photo, it really brings out the reflectiveness in the photo as it has the sun beaming down on it giving the nice yellows in the snow, A great contrast to the cool blues. Great mix between two different colors plus with the texture of the snow giving it some grain. The only thing i would say to improve would be the angle, maybe if you turned the camera a little bit up to the horizon to make it look a tad bit more vast.